Friday 2 November 2012

Sarah Morrell Quilt

Hi again,
My daughter has kindly created a new Blog Header (name and picture) for me as I was already tired of seeing my name up there - hehe. Coming up with a name was not easy - there are so many good ones out there already in use! Hopefully we have not stepped on any toes with this one...just wanted to keep it simple.

The picture is a photo of my version of Di Ford's beautiful pattern - the Morrell Quilt. For me this is the kind of quilt you do as a culmination of all skills honed over many years and I found it quite challenging. Hence the odd wobbly block and uneven quilting. But hey, as they say,  it is rustic and clearly home made, and I do love the design !

I bought the pattern on line and then worked out how to make it in a way that suited me (and my limited skills). Thanks to so many bloggers who shared their experiences with this quilt online. The "skills" that I used included:

  • Foundation Paper Piecing by hand or machine  - a wonderfully useful technique for precise piecing. Thanks to great teaching in classes with Chris Jurd I have since found I can  apply this to other patterns.
  • English Paper Piecing - am now in withdrawal if I don't do some of this every  week  every day
  • Fussy cutting - ditto.
  • Hand applique and Broderie perse - love doing them both.
  • Machine quilting - that was a steep learning curve that started with classes with Deborah Louie, and still needs practise, practise, practise!
Here are one or two block close ups - some a bit distorted by the angle of the photos, sorry, as it is hanging on the wall in my family room ...





3 comments:

  1. Love your header quilt and your new blog name. Welcome to the world of blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have done a great job and it reminds me that I need to do some work on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Morrell Quilt. Interesting the list of techniques you have used making this quilt. I also loved looking at your Baltimore blocks, I have been quietly contemplating making some type of Baltimore influenced quilt next year.

    ReplyDelete